|Whale House Museum|
By early 1990's whales became a chosen tourist attraction. Hermanus became known as the heart of the Whale Route and the museum has one of the best close up whale watching spots in town as well as a telescope. On 24 June 1991 a member of the Board of Trustees & chairman of the Friends of the Old Harbour Museum, Jose Burman, had the foresight to propose a whale museum on an open section of the Fishermen's Village. A whale museum to inform and educate the many local visitors and learners, as well as national and international tourists, who view the beautiful whales in Walker Bay. This museum will be entirely dedicated to whale exhibits, specially the southern right, and anything pertaining to cetaceans. Architect Pat Riley designed the ‘Whale House’ and plans were ready by the beginning of 1994. Fundraising to build was started and the support and response of the local community was excellent. The building was completed in 3 phases as funds became available, during the chairmanship of the Board of Trustees, Hans Moore: (1) Lecture Room – built by Richmond MacIntyre (1995); (2) Whale House foundation, shop, office & toilets - built by Richmond MacIntyre (1996); (3)Main Hall - built by Bruce Green (1998).
As this washed-up whale was in an advanced stage of decomposition, some of the bones came loose and went missing. These bones had to be remoulded by the taxidermist with a bone-like substance, which is a very costly affair. The other bones had to be cleaned and treated in huge containers filled with water and enzymes. After completion of this project, Piet Pretorios assembled all the bones to construct a complete whale that is now hanging in the Whale Museum. Pier was also was responsible for the preparation of the whale skeletons in the whale well of the Iziko/SA Museum in Cape Town.
|Hermanus started in||1855|
|Allengenski Complex built in||1870|
|Harbour wall was built in||1904|
|Crane was built in||1915|
|Gutting tables were built in||1935|
|Last boats in Old Harbour||1958|