Home arrow Fishermens Village arrow De Wet’s Huis - Photographic Museum
De Wet’s Huis - Photographic Museum PDF Print E-mail

During October and November of 1983 the museum staff dismantled the old Dutch Reform Sunday School house donated by the DR Church and transported the numbered stones and timber to Lemm’s Corner for re-erection. In 1987 this cottage was rebuilt on the Fishermen’s Village by the next curator, Guy Clarke and his team.

The De Wet’s Huis cottage at the Fishermen’s Village houses a photographic exhibition of old Hermanus dating as far back as the beginning of the last century and includes many photos printed from glass negatives taken by the famous photographer T D Ravenscroft. The Selkirk room exhibits more trophies, along with the jaws of the world record shark, caught by this remarkable man. The furniture displayed in the cottage belong to Meester Will Paterson, a leading figure in Hermanus at the turn of the last century and son of Scotty Paterson, one of the founders of Hermanus.

A conventional herb garden with labelling has been established in front of the cottage.

 
Next >

HISTORICAL FACTS

Hermanus started in 1855
Allengenski Complex built in 1870
Harbour wall was built in 1904
Crane was built in 1915
Gutting tables were built in 1935
Last boats in Old Harbour 1958 

Random Image

hermanus_history08.jpg
Copyright © 2020 Old Harbour Museum.  Hosted and maintained by MAXITEC Our site is valid CSS Our site is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional